After Hour New Client Telephone Number 630-690-6077

1776 S. Naperville Road, Building B, Suite 202,
Wheaton, IL 60189
The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C.

Can I Reduce My Child Support Obligation if I Lost My Job? 

 Posted on December 20, 2022 in Child Support

DuPage County child support modification lawyerLosing your job and reliable source of income can turn the world of even the most financially savvy person upside down. This is especially true if you have recently gone through a divorce and have child support payments that need to be kept up with. If you have lost your job, you are likely wondering how you will be able to keep up with these payments. Fortunately, under challenging periods such as after a job loss, it is possible to modify monthly payments so that you can keep up with payments and provide for your children. If you have lost your job and want to inquire about modifying child support payments, contact a knowledgeable attorney to help you through the modification process to ensure your and your child’s needs are protected.

What is the Law in Illinois Regarding Child Support Modifications? 

In Illinois, when a couple with children goes through a divorce, the law stipulates that modifications can be made to child support payments if either spouse experiences a significant change in income, such as losing their job or an involuntary decrease in their salary. The court will examine your updated circumstances and then may move forward with granting a reduction in child support payments. Notably, the newly calculated payments will be retroactively established on the date you requested the modification of your child support payments. During this time, payments must continue to be made at the original level. Once the child support modifications have been approved, you can begin paying the new amount. 

It is important to note that modifications of child support can only be made due to unexpected events, such as losing your job, having your salary significantly reduced, or another substantial change happens to you, your child, or your ex-spouse, such as one of you getting diagnosed with an illness that involves significant medical expenses. Furthermore, you cannot voluntarily quit your job and request a modification in child support payments. 

Contact a DuPage County Divorce Attorney

If you have involuntarily lost your job or something else significant has happened to you, you must know your rights so that modifications can be made regarding your child support payments. The compassionate Wheaton, IL, divorce lawyers with The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C. are equipped to help you every step of the way during this process. Call 630-462-9500 today for a complete consultation.

Source: https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs5.asp?ActID=2086&ChapterID=59

Share this post:
Dupage county bar association Illinois state bar association American Bar Association Rotary Martindale Hubbell Top 40 Under 40 Best 10 Best 10 DuPage County Bar Association State Badge State Badge Avvo

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation With An Attorney At Our Firm

Call 630-462-9500 or provide your contact information below and we will get in touch with you:

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Back to Top