After Hour New Client Telephone Number 630-690-6077

1776 S. Naperville Road, Building B, Suite 202,
Wheaton, IL 60189
Wheaton Family Law Attorney
Recent blog posts

What Does it Mean to "Win" a Divorce?

Posted on in

DuPage County Divorce LawyerMost people would rather win something than lose something. The idea of "winning" a divorce may seem especially appealing to those who are going through the process. However, divorce is not a competition with a clear winner and loser. To understand what it truly means to "win" a divorce, hiring a lawyer in Illinois is among the wisest decisions you can make. Your attorney is not only a legal professional but is someone who can help guide you through the divorce in a healthy way. Here is how.

Shifting the Perspective

Rather than viewing divorce as a win-lose situation, it is more productive to approach it as a process of achieving a fair and reasonable resolution. Divorce involves dividing assets and determining child custody and support, among other things. The goal should be to reach an equitable outcome that meets the best interests of everyone involved in the situation.

Focusing on Your Well-Being

Instead of fixating on winning, it is crucial to prioritize your well-being throughout the divorce process. This includes taking care of your emotional, mental, and physical health. Divorce can take a serious toll on a person mentally and emotionally. As you move through the process, seeking support from family, friends, or even professional therapists may make the situation easier to handle.


Can I Divorce My Spouse While They Are Deployed?

Posted on in

Wheaton Family Law Attorney

Divorce is a difficult decision, and when one spouse is deployed on a tour of duty in the armed forces, it can add additional complexities to the process. If you are considering divorcing your spouse while they are deployed, it is essential to understand the legal requirements and procedures involved. Begin by contacting a qualified lawyer who will be aware of the critical aspects of a divorce when one spouse is serving in the military. 

Beginning the Process 

At the outset of the process, you must first consider the residency requirements in Illinois. When it comes to Illinois divorce, you or your spouse must have lived in the state for at least 90 days before filing for divorce. This residency requirement applies to both military and civilian people. Therefore, if you or your spouse meet this first criterion, you can proceed with filing for divorce in Illinois. 


Will the Divorce Ruin My Financial Future?

Posted on in

DuPage County Divorce Lawyer

Divorce has a unique way of affecting just about every part of a person’s life. This is especially true when it comes to finances. It is quite common for those going through a divorce to have grave concerns regarding how their divorce will shape their financial future. It is natural to worry about the potential consequences and uncertainties that lie ahead with your divorce. To protect your financial well-being currently and in the future, it is highly advisable to consult with an experienced lawyer. Your lawyer will ensure that the decisions you make during your divorce will help safeguard your financial future.

Understanding Illinois Divorce Laws

Illinois is a state that follows the principles of equitable distribution when dividing marital assets. This essentially means that the court will look to fairly divide marital assets, taking into account different factors like the length of the marriage, each spouse’s contributions to the marriage, the economic circumstances of both parties and more. Familiarize yourself with these laws to better understand the potential financial outcomes of your divorce.


What Makes Divorce Unique in Illinois?

Posted on in

DuPage County Divorce LawyerLike in many states, divorce in Illinois is a process rife with strong emotions and various challenges. In Illinois, the state follows its own set of laws and regulations governing the dissolution of marriage. Several unique aspects are found in Illinois that distinguish divorce proceedings from those in other states. If you live in Illinois and are looking to pursue a divorce, contact a qualified lawyer to assist you in the process.

Residency Requirements

To file for divorce in Illinois, you or your spouse must have lived in the state for at least 90 days. This residency requirement ensures that the state has jurisdiction over the divorce proceedings. It is important to note that the 90-day requirement applies to both contested and uncontested divorce.

Equitable Distribution

Illinois subscribes to the principle of equitable distribution when dividing marital property. This means that the court will divide the assets and debts in a manner it deems fair, considering factors like what each spouse contributed to the marriage, how long the couple was married for, and the economic circumstances of each spouse. During the property division process, you will work closely with your attorney to ensure that your rights and interests are protected.


DuPage County Divorce LawyerIt is well documented that divorce is one of the most challenging events of someone’s adult life. One of the reasons divorce is so difficult is because of the uncertainty it brings. Will I meet someone ever again? What will happen to the children and the family we have built? Will I have to move from my home?

While all these questions are of critical importance, questions regarding the future of your living situation can bring intense anxiety to even the calmest of people. Discuss these concerns with your lawyer if you are concerned about whether you will be required to leave the marital home before, during, or after the divorce. Your Illinois attorney, a legal professional, will help you know and protect your rights as you move through this challenging process.

Ownership of the House and Legal Rights

The first factor to consider is the ownership and legal rights associated with the marital home. If you and your spouse jointly own the property, both of you have an equal right to live in the house unless a court order states otherwise. In such cases, it is unlikely that you will be forced out of your home during the divorce process.

Dupage county bar association Illinois state bar association American Bar Association Rotary Martindale Hubbell Top 40 Under 40 Best 10 Best 10 DuPage County Bar Association State Badge State Badge Avvo

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation With An Attorney At Our Firm

Call 630-462-9500 or provide your contact information below and we will get in touch with you:

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Back to Top