After Hour New Client Telephone Number 630-690-6077

1776 S. Naperville Road, Building B, Suite 202,
Wheaton, IL 60189
The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C.

Five Warning Signs Your Ex May Be Abusing Your Children in Illinois (And What You Can Do About It)

 Posted on December 16, 2021 in Divorce

wheaton divorce lawyerA parent’s most important responsibility is to provide for and protect their child. After a divorce - and even if they were never married - parents usually share parental responsibilities and parenting time but may disagree strongly about how children are best raised. Rarely, however, do these differences cross the line into neglect or abuse by either parent. 

But when this does happen, it is important for the parent who suspects abuse to take action. Doing so may be uncomfortable, but your obligation is to ensure your child’s safety. That being said, courts take false allegations of child abuse very seriously and making a false accusation could ultimately backfire. For these reasons, parents should never make allegations of abuse or neglect to try to deprive their child’s other parent of parenting time - but if there could legitimately be something wrong, it may be time to act. 

Potential Signs of Child Abuse

Many parents do not do anything when their child presents potential signs of abuse because they fear being wrong and making a false accusation. When parents do not live together, it can be challenging to know for sure whether a child is experiencing abuse or neglect. However, the following signs may be helpful indicators that a child is having more than a bad day: 

  • The child has unexpected difficulty sitting, walking, or otherwise moving

  • The child has frequent and inexplicable bruising, cuts, or other injuries

  • The child becomes withdrawn, anxious, and distrusting

  • The child is extremely fearful of making a small mistake

  • The child consistently wears inappropriate clothes, like a t-shirt and no socks during the winter

What Can I Do If I Suspect Child Abuse or Neglect? 

Parents who fear their child’s well-being is in danger can file a petition to change the existing parenting agreement. A judge will review the parent’s evidence and can act immediately, removing the child from the alleged abuser’s custody, or can schedule a hearing to request more evidence before they take action. A judge can also schedule supervised visitation so another impartial adult is present during parenting time, allowing the child to continue to have a relationship with their parent. 

In the most serious situations, parents may want to consider filing for an order of protection. A court can grant an Emergency Order of Protection if the danger is serious, and the parent making the accusations of abuse will likely receive sole parental responsibilities while more information is collected. An experienced family law attorney can help you petition for a modification of a parenting agreement and file for an order of protection if necessary. 

Talk to a Wheaton, IL Parenting Agreement Modification Lawyer

If you have concerns that your child’s other parent may be abusing or neglecting your child, it is important to take action. An experienced DuPage County family lawyer with The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C. may be able to help you bring your concerns to light and request any modifications to a parenting agreement. Call our offices today to schedule an initial consultation. Contact us at 630-462-9500.





Share this post:
Dupage county bar association Illinois state bar association American Bar Association Rotary Martindale Hubbell Top 40 Under 40 Best 10 Best 10 DuPage County Bar Association State Badge State Badge Avvo

Contact Us To Schedule A Consultation With An Attorney At Our Firm

Call 630-462-9500 or provide your contact information below and we will get in touch with you:

NOTE: Fields with a * indicate a required field.
Back to Top