William J. Stogsdill is the founder and managing member of The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C, a ten-attorney firm, concentrating in domestic relations law, located in Wheaton, Illinois. William earned his Juris Doctorate from John Marshall Law School in 1974 and was admitted to the Bar on October 1, 1974. William was also licensed to practice in the Northern District Federal Court since 1974 and licensed to practice in the United States Supreme Court in 1980.
Before establishing The Stogsdill Law Firm, P.C, in 1984, William worked as an Assistant State's Attorney, in DuPage County, Illinois, from June, 1973, to November, 1976. He then became a partner of Kowalczyk & Stogsdill, Ltd. from December 1976, to May 1984, and was an Appointed Special Assistant State's Attorney, in DuPage County, Illinois, April 21, 1989. William J. Stogsdill established his firm to meet the needs of all persons involved in family law issues. The firm consists of experienced attorneys who are able to provide family law solutions from complex to even simple cases while providing the services at varying rates in order to accommodate families with varying financial resources. William's vast experience in litigation, his legal knowledge and his constant preparedness for litigation provides the opposing party with strong impetus to avoid contested court proceedings and the client with a strong likelihood of settlement, without the expensive litigation.
- Illinois, 1974
- Northern District Federal Court, 1974
- United States Supreme Court, 1980
- John Marshal Law School, 1974
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Ad Hoc Rules Committee
- Matrimonial Law Committee
- Chairman, 1982-1983; Co-Chairman, 1983-1984; Chairman, 1987-1988 and 1988-1989; Vice-Chairman, 1997-1998; Chairman 1998-1999
- Legal Education Committee
- Vice Chairman, 1999-2000; Co-Chairman 2000-2001, 2001-2002
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Family Law Section Council, 1989-1993, 1995-2003
- Appointed to continue legislative lobbying efforts to obtain passage of Illinois Qualified Domestic Relations Order legislation, 1993-1994
- SubCommittee Chairman or Co-Chairman for Pension Law, 1991-2003
- Employee Benefits Section Council, 2000-2001, 2001-2002, and 2002-2003
- American Bar Association
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater School of Business and Economics Advisory Council, 1993-2007
Honors and Awards:
- DuPage County Bar Association Outstanding Service Award for Pro Bono Legal Services, 1986
- DuPage County Bar Association Pro Bono Attorney Service Award, 2012
- Evaluator of Trial Presentations by Law Students in the 25th Annual Trial Competition, February 11, 2000,
- DuPage County Family Law Trial Advocacy Program
- Demonstrated proper techniques of cross examination of a business evaluator. Thereafter participated in training attorneys in the presentation of evidence
Articles in the DuPage County Lawyers' Bulletin:
- "Limitation of Factors Constituting a Substantial Change in Circumstances Justifying a Modification"
- "The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act"
- "Modification of Custody Judgments Under the Present Illinois Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act"
- "Highlights of Procedure for Withholding of Income to Secure Payment of Support, Section 706.1"
- "Allocations of Child Dependency Exemptions"
- "Discharge in Bankruptcy of Hold Harmless Provisions, In Rethe Marriage of Lytle"
- Authored Chapter 23 of the Illinois State Bar AssociationFamily Law Handbook 1995 edition, "A Division of Retirement Benefits in Domestic Relations Proceedings"
- And co-authored with his son Chapter 17 of the Illinois StateBar Association Family Law Handbook 2011 edition, "A Division of Retirement Benefits in Dissolution Proceedings"
William has also drafted significant legislation in the State of Illinois, including:
- Substantially drafted Senate Bill 1259, Public Act 90-715, which modified the Illinois Parentage Act of 1984, effective August 7, 1998. This bill allowed DNA testing to overcome the presumption of paternity and extended the two (2) year statute of limitations during times that the natural mother or the child refuses to submit to DNA testing.
- Substantially drafted House Bill 1612, Public Act 90-731 Legislation passed relating to Qualified Illinois Domestic Relations Orders, QILDRO, effective, July 1, 1999, which allows the division of Illinois State Pension Plans in proceedings for dissolution of marriage.
- Cooperated in the drafting of amendment to 5/503, Section (b)(l) and (b)(2) of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act, P.A. 89-712, effective June 1, 1987. The legislation recognizes that pension benefits provided by the Illinois Pension Code are marital property subject to division between the parties regardless of whether the stock options are valued.
- Drafted Senate Bill 433, March, 2001, Public Act 92-306 which modified and amended 750 ILCS 5/503, of the Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act adding Section 5/503(b)(3) establishing that all stock options granted during the marriage are marital property and required the Court to allocate the division of stock options at the time of the dissolution of marriage.
Past Employment Positions:
- DuPage County, Illinois, June 1973-November 1976
- Assistant State's Attorney
- Kowalczyk & Stogsdill, Ltd., December 1976-May 1984
- DuPage County, Illinois - Appointed April 21, 1989
- Special Assistant State's Attorney
In addition, William has been a speaker at various workshops and seminars, including:
- DuPage County Bar Association Trial Advocacy Workshop, "Issues of Business Valuation", February 1, 2003
- DuPage County Bar Association Matrimonial Law Seminar, "Classification of Marital and Non-Marital Property Pursuant to House Bill 544," 1984-1985
- DuPage County Bar Association Matrimonial Law Seminar, "Division of Retirement Plans," 1985-1986
- West Suburban Bar Association Matrimonial Law Seminar, "Qualified Domestic Relations Orders," May 1987
- DuPage County Bar Association Matrimonial Law Seminar, "Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act," 1988-1989
- First Symposium on Women's and Children's Issues, "Sexual Child Abuse," at the College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, Illinois, October 26, 1990
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, "Planning for and the Need for Legislation in Illinois to Divide Illinois State Pension Plans," Chicago, Illinois, June 1992
- DuPage County Bar Association Family Law Seminar, "Issues in Pension Valuation," February 24, 1996
- DuPage County Bar Association Bench/Bar Symposium, "Required Changes in Domestic Relations Division of the 18th Judicial Circuit," May 22, 1997
- DuPage County Bar Association Family Law and Practice, Part III, "Mission Impossible, QDRO's," November 7, 1997
- Illinois Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, "Overview Divorce Process in Illinois," September 25, 1998
- Illinois Continuing Legal Education, "Qualified Domestic Relations Orders, Chicago, Illinois, December 11, 1998
- Clifton Gunderson L.L.c. Seminar, "Achieving the Goal Litigation Issues, Business Valuations, Illinois Qualified Domestic Relations Orders," January 18, 1999
- DuPage County Bar Association for Continuing Legal Education, "Qualified Domestic Relations Orders," Lisle, Illinois, January 23, 1999
- Illinois State Bar Association Seminar for Continuing Legal Education, "Family Law Update Program," Collinsville, Illinois, March 19, 1999
- Annual Meeting ISBA at Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, Family Law Seminar, "How to Allocate Stock Options in a Dissolution of Marriage," June 23, 2000
- Televlsion Program: "Grandparent Visitation," Program presented by the DuPage County Bar Association, AT&T CableTelevision, June 27, 2000
- DuPage County Bar Association MEGA SEMINAR, "How to Handle Stock Option Issues in Dissolution of Marriage Cases, Lisle, Illinois, February 3, 2001
- Northwest Cook County Bar Association Meeting, "Role of Attorney for Child, Guardian Ad Litem and ChildRepresentative," October 23, 2002
- Northwest Cook County Bar Association Meeting, If Child Representative, Section 506(a)(3): Unconstitutional?" February 23, 2005
- DuPage County Bar Association Family Law and Practice Committee, "Abuse of the Discovery Process," May 24, 2005
- Business Valuation, Financial and Tax Issues in Divorce 2012,"Exotic Executive Compensation and Understanding and Effectively Dividing Stock Options and Deferred Compensation."